Councillor Antonella Celi
|Posted by antonellaceli on April 6, 2021 at 8:20 AM|
To Rate Freeze/Rebate or Not?
The Mornington Peninsula Shire Proposed Budget 2021/22 is now on public exhibition for comment.
The MP Shire proposed budget has taken on the State Government's advice of a 1.5% at CPI rate increase.
A couple of Councillors proposed to freeze rates by applying a 1.5% rebate on the increase.
This was voted down by the Council because:
* The two options put before Council on how to apply the 1.5% rate freeze and/or rebate were not financially prudent or responsible and would result in:
- $2.3M in revenue lost in one year or
- up to $25M loss of revenue for the Shire over ten years
* The freeze/rebate would compromise a well balanced budget and compromise $M's of investment towards many projects, grants, capital, priority works and service delivery across the Peninsula
* The freeze/rebate would not have been equitable across the Peninsula and would not necessarily go straight to those who would need help the most.
* I want to see a greater return on ratepayer investment for our community emerging out of Covid.
* I was not willing to compromise on $2.3M or up to $25M worth of projects I want to see delivered in the Seawinds Ward and across the Peninsula.
* I was not going to compromise on $10M worth of investment in a Covid Recovery program that will offer a greater return and benefit for our region.
* I would prefer to further help raterpayers through an improved Shire Hardship Policy that could help those who really need it.
More at a glance details in the infographic below to highlight implications of a rate freeze/rebate and why it was prudent to object.
The Proposed Budget 2021/22 is currently on public exhibition and community is welcome to provide feedback at this link:
My debate objecting to the rate freeze/rebate is here: https://youtu.be/Ua03_JGbUl4
Full recording of the Budget deliberations, debate and minutes of the 30th March, 2021 at this link: https://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/About-Us/About-Our-Council/Council-Meetings/CouncilCommittee-Meeting-Agendas-and-Minutes
Find out how the Mornington Peninsula Shire rates compare to other Councils here: https://knowyourcouncil.vic.gov.au
Categories: Rates, Fees, Charges